Sunday, April 13, 2008

And now I am back


So I did it finally. I took a bike and did some downhill on the world's most dangerous road in Bolivia. I went with an expensive company but I think it was worth it. We had some of the best bikes and they worked really well. And I went really fast. There is a CD that I could purchase but I don't think that I am going to. I was hard to take pictures because I did not want to get my camera broken and I think that is something that I would do.
The day started off with us just riding down a paved road so that we could get used to the bikes and the brakes. I think that I was nervous at first because I was going fast enough to pass cars and I did not know what to do about the turns. After awhile I figured it out and I did not mind going so fast. The entire ride we had two guides and a support vehicle for our group which had about 12 people. There was one Brit and another Bolivian riding with us. They were both great riders and I learned a lot from the two. They also were really good at letting us know at which points people had died on the road and what mistakes they made before they died.
After the paved road we hit the gravel one lane road. It was a little different but still a lot of fun. The sheer drop cliff at 400 meters we not that intimidating because of the fog. I couldn't see it so it didn't make me scared. We went from 4800 meters above sea level to just under 1900 meters, rode 64 kilometers with 3 kilometers change of altitude. There were a lot of other groups of bikers on the road but no one in our group got hurt. So that was really nice.
The entire trip was so amazing, riding a bike through waterfalls and seeing so much green in a huge valley. I am very happy that I did the ride, I think that it has been one of the most exciting things I have done in South America.
After the ride we ended up in a nature refuge with monkeys, snakes, an ocelot, and cats. I thought that I would like the monkeys but one of them bit me for taking a picture of it. I wasn't this one, because this one was very cute, but a little camera shy. It was one of the squirrel monkeys. Just jumped on me and bit my knuckle. They had all been vacinated, but I am still mad at the little thing. At the reserve we got to eat and then when the bus didn't come back for us (it is Bolivia) we had some beer while we waited and I ended up going over my limit. At least I wasn't driving because we took the road back up. There is a new road, but it was faster to use the older one. It was a nice drive, but I understand why it was so bad.
Today I am going to see wrestling here in La Paz and then I am going back to Peru tomorrow. It should be good because I feel like I am finally making progress again, not just hanging out in a country and spending money. I can't wait to see the wrestiling so I am going to get some really good pictures.

No comments: